How to combat anxiety + shift your energy right away…
It’s no secret that I suffer from debilitating anxiety, depression and PTSD. I am quite vocal with my experiences and my journey. However…
Sometimes I can’t be bothered to get out of bed and then I remember I have bills to pay and a full roster of clients who depend on me for their launches, websites, branding, marketing support etc…. it never ends.
But this isn’t about me. It’s about helping fellow sufferers like me.
First of all, I understand. I know what you are going through and I may not know the extent of your emotions and reactions but I sympathize. You are not alone.
You. Are. Not. Alone.
Here a few ways you can shift your energy, literally starting right now if you feel like crap. If you’re feeling unmotivated. Basically *insert emotion*:
- Acknowledge your feelings: It’s hard to come face to face with your thoughts and feelings but in order to shift them, you have to stand up to them. Ask yourself honestly, “Why am I feeling this way?” No answer is silly, minimal or shameful. You have to be honest with yourself or you won’t get down to the root cause. It takes 90 seconds to sit with a feeling…and it passes. Time yourself. For example: “I hate that mom told me to stop sleeping in late because she thinks it’s lazy. But, she doesn’t understand I work late sometimes and I was tired.” Now you may feel guilty for sleeping in past a certain time because you’re usually awake and being productive — but you’re still affected because it’s linked to shame of sleeping in late and your mom pointing it out. Acknowledge it and move on.
- Do a full body scan: Where are you “feeling” your feelings? A lot of people say when they’re anxious or experience some type of overwhelm, their chest tightens up, breathing is shallow, head is spinning, they experience nasusea etc. Do a full body scan and acknowledge what your body is telling you. Then breathe. Take ten deep breaths and release. Also, imagine yourself sitting on grass and letting whatever emotions come up fall into the Earth. You can even picture an ocean, or a meadow. (Sounds stupid, but it works). You can even go into nature and do this physically.
- Do an activity that will raise your vibration physically: Movement is very important. You can stretch, you can jump on the spot. If you like dancing, play your Spotify playlist and move your body. You can listen to a motivational video on Ted Talks, watch something positive / or inspiring to get you out of your feelings. You can go for a walk and get some oxygen pumping in your veins. Sending endorphins into your body will release and send your brain signals.
- Meditate, Journal, Scream: You want to process your feelings…and that can be done through meditation, journaling, adult coloring, doodling, or sometimes (I do this), grab a pillow and scream! It releases pent of frustration and it’s cathartic. I usually journal “What is on my mind right now?” and I write in bullet point and a huge list of shit bothering me comes out. It shifts the heaviness of the anxiety and will make you feel like your problems have a face and how you can tackle them.
- Talk about it: Pick up the phone and call your support system. If you feel like you don’t have one, it’s okay — there are many facebook groups you can connect to people with. You need a sounding board and talking about what you’re going through will make you stronger, healthier and happier. You are not alone.
These are ways that will help you within 10 minutes to shift your energy and raise your vibration. If you have tried all of these things and you still don’t feel better — I do recommend talking to a professional because everyone processes things differently.
If you need any help finding resources, please reach out to me. You can find me on twitter @blackdahliapr / @babygotbrand or you can email me firstname.lastname@example.org